The 2014 Cannes film festival saw the appearences of two of the most famous Chinese stars, Zhang Ziyi and Li Gong. Wearing luxury and fashion creations, they stole the spotlight and steered scores of comments and discussions on social media such as Weibo or Wechat.
Indeed, Piaget, Roberto Cavalli and L’Oreal all linked their name to Gong Li. In addition Zhang brought a lot of focus on French creator Stéphane Rollad at the opening ceremony, wearing one of his creations, a splendid black and white gown. In addition, to complete the set, the jeweler Bochic gave her the clutch she carried.
How did the brands use this events?
They posted comments and news on their own official social networks accounts such as Weibo and Weixin with pictures of the celebrities wearing their creations. This way their thousands or even sometimes millions of followers would see their favourite movie stars wear the brands creations: luxury dresses, jewellery, to make people dream to be like them.
This, coupled with a properly designed website allows a very intense customer experience since we are talking about the most famous stars in China.
In this situation a strong PR about the event helps spread the news of the event by publishing on a series of on-line blogs and journals.
Your luxury fashion brand would need the following strategy
- In doing so you respect the Chinese netizen way of purchasing goods: they will go and see your brand website before going to Tmall to buy your products via your Tmall account.
- Buzz around the event. Here, the Cannes Festival has already a very strong reputation since it is a well renowned event
- A SEO/SEM campaign aimed at your brand Website as well as your Tmall shop to increase your visibility
- Intense social media campaign to make sure that everyone knows the stars are wearing your brands in front of the world
o However the more famous is the star the more expensive it becomes to have the star wear the gown or the jewel you want him or her to wear.
o Social media such as Weibo and Wechat help spread the news of the event very fast among your targets especially in China where such a platforms are commonly used.
Luxury is all about customer experience and making the customer feel privileged and unique or looking very much like a celebrity. All the steps of a digital marketing campaign for luxury must reflect this in order to catch the customer attention and preserve your brand image.
- More information about how to improve your fashion brand visibility here